Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Kentucky

My Husband and I moved into an apartment and filled out a damage form. We found damages done to the carpet and a few other things, bc the carpet was frayed around the bathroom door, bedroom door and were the carpet meets the kitchen tile. My cats had a free for all and tore up the edges.

We just moved out and now the apartment complex is trying to make us pay 1,200.00 for replacement carpet. We told them we understand the problem and we would be glad to pay for half the damage bc had they fixed the carpet in the first place the cats would not have done more damage, now they are saying they have no damage form and they will be sending the bill to collections is there anything I can do???

Asked on 10/17/12, 3:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You can't ruin ruined carpet. If the carpet was already needing to be replaced, you could reassemble a car engine on it and not be liable for damages. However, if that damage report is gone, and you didn't keep a copy, you'll have no way to prove the carpet was already frayed and that your cat simply made it worse. You might be able to get them to admit it, but you're likely on the hook if there's no proof.

Also? $1200 is extortion for crappy apartment carpet. They'll spend a few hundred at most. Request receipts for work and get estimates to show they overspent.

Read more
Answered on 10/26/12, 10:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Kentucky