Legal Question in Traffic Law in Kentucky

I received a reckless driving charge for speeding 28 mph over the limit. I was rushing to make an appointment I was late for and proceeded to pass a slower car when the lane had split. When the right lane begin to merge the car beside me was progressed his speed and was holding the road and not allow me to pass so I sped up because I feared that if I braked he would hit me considering his front wheel was at my back wheel. I did not tell the cop about the car holding the road instead I only told the cop I was running late because he was very angry with me and scared me making me think he was going to arrest me. How hard would it be to reduce this charge to a civil offense so I can keep a clean record?

Asked on 1/05/11, 11:06 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rachelle Howell Rachelle N. Howell, Attorney at Law

There is no such thing as a "civil offense" for traffic cases. Please contact me at 502-377-3514 to discuss this further if you wish.

Thank you,

Rachelle N. Howell

Attorney at Law

Read more
Answered on 1/10/11, 1:50 pm
Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

There are generally two types of criminal offenses when it comes to traffic charges- moving violations and non-moving violations. Moving violations result in points being deducted form your license while non-moving do not. It is unlikely a prosecutor will agree to a reduction of this charge to a non-moving violation, however, a reduction to avoid some points is possible. It may be possible with this reduction to attend traffic school if eligible to avoid points or reporting to insurance. I recommend you consult with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/11, 6:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Kentucky