Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

child molestion

My 11 year old daughter just informed me that my ex-husband(not her father)sexually abused her on several occasions. She was between the ages of 3 and 5. I need to know how to proceed with charges. She is reluctant to press charges against him because of the attention in the press it will attract. We now live in a different parish. Do we file here or where the abuse took place? Thank you for you help.

Asked on 9/04/02, 11:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: child molestion

Contact the police or sheriff in the parish where the abuse occurred.

Your daughter's identity should be protected. Young victims' identities are not released to the public. Further, living in another parish, even if the information was released, the people that she sees regularly probably would not get the information.

Most courts will close any hearings to the press and public if she testifies.

I also reccomend finding a psychologist who can counsel her. Any child who has had this exerience will carry emotional scars.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/02, 6:12 am
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: child molestion

In addition to Mr. Casenave's excellent answer, I would also suggest you file a civil suit against your X to recoup the costs of counseling and to compensate you and your daughter for the emotional and physical scars she, and you to some extent, are and will continue to experience. A civil judgment for this type of offense is usually not dischargable in bankruptcy. Your child's identity will be protected in the civil procedure as well. Good luck and please speak with the police and don't let this man continue his predatory acts on the innocent.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/02, 9:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana