Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

enforceable cs

i moved from louisiana to texas over 6 months ago. my ex doesn't live in louisiana. can he stop paying me child support since our judgment is in louisiana and neither of us lives there anymore? do i need to go to court in tx and get an order so it can be enforced here where i live?

Asked on 4/02/08, 9:40 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: enforceable cs

The Judgment is good no matter what State you move to, and cannot be changed without court approval.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/08, 9:59 am
TC Langford Langford Law Office

Re: enforceable cs

I agree with Mr. Pizzolatto, however, if you want to enforce the order in a Texas court, then it needs to be registered as a foreign decree, before you can file a contempt and enforcement action.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/08, 3:57 pm

Re: enforceable cs

You didn't say where your ex is living. Since neither of you is in Louisiana and it doesn't sound like he's in Texas, you may want to go through the Texas Attorney General's Office. It usually takes them some time to get to you but they are probably your best bet of enforcing if he's not in Texas.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/08, 7:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana