Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

The apartment is old and not in great condition. There was no "Statement of Condition" paperwork in the beginning in which I could have filled out the condition of the place when I moved in. Since staying there, there was an issue with the shower leaking. I informed the landlord, they took too long to fix it and it leaked into the unit below. The larger property company forced them to replace the whole bathroom. They blamed the leak on my inability to use the shower curtain properly. Which just is not true. My lease is almost up and I have a feeling they will take my whole security deposit plus maybe more money to cover the bathroom costs and maybe additional costs. To be clear no damage in the apartment was caused by myself, it was all there prior to moving in. Since they provided no "Statement of Condition" at the move in, can they legally not return my deposit? Also, I do not believe they ever returned a copy of the lease signed by both parties in the beginning either.

Related Topics:

Asked on 6/12/17, 1:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

You should demand an immediate return of the security deposit. Since there is no statement of conditions they must return the security deposit and accrued interest upon your demand. It is best if you make the demand before you vacate.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/17, 6:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts