Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

I am currently in a custody battle of visitation right now with the mother of my son. She has custody right now because I was into some hard drugs but I have been sober for 3 years. I filed a visitation petition with the courts because the mother to my child is not allowing me to see him over a misunderstanding of some headache medicine that was given to my partner. We went to court in March and the judge gave the me my visitations back and then the mother went and attested against it. So now we have court on June 28th because she doesn't think that I am sober when I am in a program and take drug tests. I was wondering if we can still move states and me be able to see my son still. We can't stay here in Michigan as we have no place to go and we got a room to stay with my cousin and mother in Oklahoma. My question is, can I still have visitation rights even if I move out of state?

Asked on 5/21/22, 11:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stuart Collis Collis, Griffor & Hendra, PC

You absolutely can have parenting time from out of state. Transportation will have to be discussed and the schedule may have to be altered but nothing prevents you from being a parent just because you leave the state.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/22, 8:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan