Legal Question in Traffic Law in Michigan

On January 1st 2016, I was pulled over in Ontonagon MI. I was cited with a verbal warning for a small speeding violation and a written fine for an expired license. When I asked the officer how much it was going to cost me on top of the 70$ cash I had just paid him, he said typically 50-70$ more. I sent in a plea by mail pleading guilty, and received in return a second plea by mail form with the costs on it. They want to charge me 100$ fine for the violation, 300$ for court costs, 75$ crime victim fee, 50$ state fee, 30$ plea by mail fee, and 7$ bond cost. This is a total of 562$ for an expired license! I am a WI resident and do not wish to appear for any trial. The lady at the court system said I can plea not guilty and have a phone conference with the judge and district attorney. What should I do? Thank you for any and all help!

Asked on 2/18/16, 4:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Morrison Action Defense Center

1. Get your license renewed in WI. 2. Plead not guilty by mail and get an appearance date. Call the court and get the name of the prosecutor and call her/him (not the judge) a week before the court date and negotiate a settlement. Then, it's a judgment call as you can a) pay the settlement or b) appear and pay these outrageous fees or c) fail to appear on the court date and receive a default judgement. I have chosen c. in the past without regret.

Read more
Answered on 2/18/16, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Michigan