Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

my 27 year old son has been charged with selling beer to a minor---he works as a bartender and this was a part of a sting operation set up by law enforcement---client was disguised to look older---should my son plead guilty--no contest?? He has a teaching license--can this be taken away??? Bartending is his part-time job

Asked on 9/14/16, 12:53 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Keyser Keyser Law, P.A.

He should not plead guilty, at least not without seeing all the evidence and consulting with an attorney first. Assuming he has a clean record, pleading guilty would not be advantageous to him. I'm happy to discuss the case in more detail. I offer free consultations. My direct number is 612-281-8325.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/16, 12:59 pm
Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

I just had one of these cases in Ramsey County and my client was eligible for diversion - meaning no criminal conviction or plea. That might be a good way to resolve this case. Don't plead guilty without consulting an attorney.

Nathan Hansen


Read more
Answered on 9/14/16, 1:07 pm
Samuel Edmunds Sieben Edmunds Miller PLLC

Your son needs a lawyer. He should not plead guilty, not guilty, or anything else unless his lawyer advises him to do so. This is a serious criminal charge - a gross misdemeanor. Yes, it can have an impact on his teaching license. Feel free to contact me to discuss options. I've handled a great many of these cases - both as prosecutor in my former life, and as defense attorney. It can be possible to reach a settlement with the prosecution that would protect your son from some of the consequences would normally stem from a charge like this.


Read more
Answered on 9/14/16, 1:09 pm
Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

No. He would be better off setting a goal of preventing a criminal conviction and preventing a guilty plea. It's better to have the help of a good defense lawyer. He is welcome to call me to discuss or if he needs help with it..

Read more
Answered on 9/14/16, 9:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota