Legal Question in DUI Law in Minnesota

So, I am in the midst of my first time being in trouble. I missed a court date on a misdemeanor charge and am currently a wanted fugitive. (BOO) So among the million questions I have, I guess firstly I need to know what warrant court is all about? What happens? (Generally speaking of course) Do they put me in jail or is it just like a quick thing at the courthouse? Should I get a public defender or worry about that if things get crazy? Its court in hicksville minnesota, Should I even be this nervous?

Asked on 1/13/15, 10:35 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hopefully this 1st time in trouble will also be your last, and when you look back on your life, it will be just a small blip in time. I urge you to get the warrant resolved asap. I suggest you confer privately with an experienced attorney at this time and she can advise you in detail. What to expect will unfold depends on multiple factors. You posted this as a DWI-DUI matter, so be aware that such violations of law are treated with great seriousness. Tricia Dwyer Esq ph 612-296-9666 Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Read more
Answered on 1/13/15, 10:45 am
Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

Most arrest warrants are "body only" meaning the only way to clear them is to get booked into a jail. From jail, usually people arrested on a warrant will appear in court the next available date. Some warrants have a dollar bail amount pre-specified. For these the fugitive can post the bail and get a court date without being booked into jail. You could check with the local Sheriff's office to see which type it is (or have someone do it for you). DWI cases can be won with the help of a good criminal lawyer. It would be wise to seek legal representation. Public defenders are spread pretty thin, but if you don't want to hire a private criminal lawyer, do apply for a public defender.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/15, 11:09 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

First you should retain counsel. If this is a first offense, your chances of avoiding any conviction increase with counsel. Your record is worth preserving.

Second, a lawyer can often have a warrant stayed pending a new court appearance. This will allow you a new opportunity to make your appearance.

I have over 23 years of experience handling such matters. For a FREE consultation call 612-240-8005.

Read more
Answered on 1/19/15, 8:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Minnesota