Legal Question in Personal Injury in Minnesota

Car accident and my friend wants my dad's insurance to pay for my medical bills

My friend and I are college students and I was the passenger in his car when he rear ended a car. We went in and got check ups and now his insurance company wants my dad's insurance to pay for my bills when I'm not under my dad's insurance policy. My dad is not willing to have his insurance company pay for my bills since it was not my dad's fault and me noting being under his policy. Now his insurance agent is trying to get me to agreed to this which I will not. What are my options and shouldn't my friend's insurance be responsible for my medical bills knowing that I was in his insured car. Should he be liable for me? Please let me know what I should do. I am thinking about getting a lawyer if his insurance company is not going to cover for my bills. Thanks

Asked on 11/02/05, 12:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Todd Johnson Johnson & Bannon

Re: Car accident and my friend wants my dad's insurance to pay for my medical bills

Your friend's insurance company may be right. Under Minnesota no fault law the coverage for medical expenses is the responsibility of your own car insurance company is you have car insurance. If you don't have insurance they look to the household where you are a resident to see if there is insurance coverage there. If you are considered a resident of your father's house then his insurance is probably responsible.

However, if you are a passenger in the car, and not at fault for the collision, your father's insurance rates will in no way be effected by their paying your medical bills. In fact it is against the law for them to raise his rates for that reason. You may have a claim against your friend for any personal injuries you have and you should talk to a lawyer near you about those possible claims.

I know this sounds odd that your own insurance would pay when you weren't at fault but this is often how the insurance works. I would urge you to contact an attorney near where you live to discuss your possible injury claim against your friend.

Our office is not representing you on any matter but I hope this information was helpful.

Read more
Answered on 11/02/05, 9:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Minnesota