Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Mississippi

On Nov. 26, 2008 I was arrested & charged with Uttering Forgery in Marshall County, MS. My mother had given me the Power of Attorney prior to her death to handle all medical, financial and business matters regarding her estate. I was arrested by Marshall County Sheriff's Office in response to my brothers charge of stealing money from a joint checking account following her death. I was arrested, charged with Uttering Forgery, spent 71 days in the county jail. The County Prosecutor discovered via legal documents that an error had been made upon receipt of the notarized Power of Attorney document, certified letter from Notary Public, copy of my mothers death certificate and a Circuit Court Judge issued an Order To Dismiss which was adjudicated. As a result of this error the State of Mississippi records are showing the charges, incarceration period without showing final disposition, which results in a Felony Charge. I have been hired by a Federal Government Agency, that is holding a full-time position for me until 5/27/2010. What legal remedies are available to me?

Asked on 5/24/10, 3:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

You need to consult competent counsel at once to discuss filing a lawsuit to address the false arrest (against your brother) and to have the criminal charge expunged.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/10, 5:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Mississippi