Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Mississippi

will procedures

My grandfather had a will, and he left my mother the executor of his estate, but the will hasn't been found. How is the lawyer notified when someone passes? What if the lawyer is in another state, how will he be notified?

Asked on 7/08/09, 7:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Nesmith Dunlap & Nesmith, LLC

Re: will procedures

You will have to notify the lawyer. There is no legal process for this--the heirs simply have to contact him. And the heirs do not have to hire the attorney who prepared the will; if they have their own attorney with whom they feel comfortable, they should talk to him.

If the will cannot be found, there are ways to prove its contents, but you will need the assistance of a probate lawyer.

If you are not sure who drew the will, it should not be hard to find him, assuming you know what city he was in.

Just talk to your lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/09, 8:42 pm
Albert Pettigrew Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736

Re: will procedures

If the Grandfather's last will and testament cannot be proven, his estate will pass to his heirs, and the attorney may be needed to open an estate for administration in probate court.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/09, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Mississippi