Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I know someone who is charged with a felony. The prosecutor has offered her to plead guilty receiving a 5 year probation MO-Suspended Imposition of Sentence, actually serving 3 years probation. This woman doesn't want to plead guilty because she doesn't believe she is guilty. She is mentally ill, now on medicine. My question is : is there a way she can satisfy their request for probation without pleading guilty?

With the mental illness, she has she is forgetful, if she should forget an appointment with her probation officer, then she is thrown back in jail or prison with a guilty verdict on her and a criminal record which means that she would loose everything.

Asked on 1/23/18, 6:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Rogers The Rogers Law Firm

No, there is no way to accept a plea bargain deal involving a suspended imposition of sentence without pleading guilty. If she believes she is not guilty and thinks she can prove it, she should consult an attorney to see what her chances of success would be if she took her case to trial. Unfortunately, she risks losing at trial and being convicted. Also, taking a case to trial can be very expensive if she does not qualify for a public defender and has to hire a private attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/18, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri