Legal Question in Immigration Law in Nebraska

If I marry someone who lives outside the country will they be able to return home with me?

Asked on 11/20/13, 3:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

In short, no.

If you are a U.S. citizen & you get married outside the U.S., you will first have to petition your spouse through USCIS, & he/she will need to obtain his/her immigrant visa at the U.S. Consulate, before being admitted into the United States. Otherwise, it is visa fraud & can have adverse immigration consequences.

You can file for a fiance visa, which, if approved, would permit him/her to enter the United States & give you 90 days to get married, after which time you would file the 'greencard" petition/application in the United States.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 11/21/13, 9:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Nebraska