Legal Question in Family Law in New Hampshire

how long after a case is closed can a lawyer send a bill in NH

Asked on 2/29/16, 2:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Skinner, III Associated Attorneys of New England

If you agreed to pay, and you did not pay, then in general, they can continue to seek payment. However, in general, there is a three year statute of limitations on most legal claims in NH, so they might not be able to sue to collect after three years.

My advice to you would be to contact your attorney and work out a deal- either a discounted lump sum settlement or an ongoing payment plan of affordable payments. In my office, we try to be sensitive and accommodating to people's financial situation while balancing our need to "keep the lights on" to speak.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/16, 5:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Hampshire