Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey


I used to be an aupair, changed my visa to student, still living with the same family. Last March the family abused their power, threatened and harassed me. I moved from their house and I was wondering if the Green Card through domestic violence would work in this case.

Thank you in advance,


Asked on 5/31/16, 10:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

VAWA greencards are only for abused spouses of U.S. citizens. However, if you are currently in F-1 status, then H-1B might be an option once you obtain your BA, or you might be eligible for a greencard through employment, depending on your experience & the U.S. petitioner willing to hire you. However, you should have an experienced immigration attorney review your case before jumping into anything.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/16, 4:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey