Legal Question in Traffic Law in New Jersey

witness changed story in police report

in an accident with 2 other cars wasdriving on single lane highway

car in front of me stopped to make

a left turn. i moved to the right to

avoid hitting her and prepared to pass.

car behind me drove in between us and

hit me driving me off the road andthen

hit the car making the turn.continuing

on to come around. 2 witnesses said 3rd

car at fault. police came and tow truck

and made me get car towed right away.

my insurance co. sent ajuster right away

but I had to wait a week and a half for

police report. just received it and it

said the witness said i was the third car

that caused the accident.that i hit car

infront of me and she hit first car.

i never was able to get insurance info

from other 2 cars. report said i was

issued a summons for improper passing.

what is going on. is there anything i can


Asked on 12/20/05, 11:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ronald Aronds Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC

Re: witness changed story in police report

There are a couple of things you can do here. If you did not give a statement to the police at the scene of the accident, then you can go to the police and file a supplement to the police report telling your version of events. Anyway you look at it, once the ticket was issued you either have to just pay it and get 4 points on your license, or you can go to court and fight the ticket. By fighting it you can either have a trial where you try to convince the judge that you did not illegally pass the other cars and cause the accident, or you can try to work out some type of plea bargain with the prosecutor to try and reduce the number of points you are facing. My advice is to hire a lawyer to represent you on this case. This is a fairly serious scenario that could affect your driving history and also your insurance rates. You need someone who does this type of work to try to minimize the penalties you may be facing. I am an attorney who has handled many cases similar to yours in various courts in New Jersey in the past. I would like to discuss your case and what I can do to help you in more detail. Please contact me at your convenience. There is never any charge for simply talking to me about a case. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.-

Read more
Answered on 12/21/05, 8:50 am
Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Re: witness changed story in police report

You have options. You will want to fight the traffic ticket, certainly. An attorney would help.

You may want to sue the person who damaged your car. Possibly, if you were hurt, you may also want to sue for personal injury.

If you are near my office, please feel free to contact me.My contact information can be obtained from the links below.

Of course, you can not rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. Also, the exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/05, 1:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in New Jersey