Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

I received an ACD for petit larceny back around the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. Along with the usual "don't get arrested again" bit, part of the deal was to complete 20 hours of community service but for reasons including the unexpected arrival of the pandemic, I was unable to complete most of that requirement. I probably should have tried to contact the court about it but I really just had many other concerns at that time. So the question is: can I assume the case has been sealed by now since they're generally a little more lenient on college students, and mainly because it has been quite some time and I have stayed out of trouble all this time? Or if the answer is "it depends", how can I find out what happened to my case? But if the misdemeanor is unfortunately and without a doubt still on my record, how can I get it sealed, and ideally as quickly as possible? I really don't want to let a reckless mistake from when I was 18 ruin the rest of my life. Thanks in advance for any answers

Asked on 7/10/21, 1:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Zev Goldstein Law Office of Zev Goldstein PLLC

Send in $5 or $10 to the Court Clerk for a "certificate of disposition." That document is official proof of what the court did in your case. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/11/21, 4:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York