Legal Question in Family Law in New York

my children live with their father in sc and my daughter who is 16 is having issues with him custody has never been established and as far as i know i believe it is with the mother that the custody belongs i was wondering if i can give my daughter permission to move out she has a job and is in school and has an older friend that has her own place. i want my daughter to be in a safe place where she can continue her education

Asked on 5/15/17, 4:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

If the mother has custody, you cannot legalize the child moving out. She can file her own petition for emancipation, however, she would have to consult with a SC attorney who knows family law to determine the standards in that state and if she would qualify. Each state is different.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/17, 4:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York