Legal Question in Family Law in New York

my gay partner an i have split after 27 yrs, he adopted 2 kids , one of my sons is 23 an lives with me, the other has learning dissabilities he finished high school has a drivers permit an is working in a resturant an is 19. He wants to live with me an not his father who legally adopted him. does he have the right to choose who he lives with

Asked on 7/06/16, 9:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bunji Fromartz Fromartz Law Offices

If there is no guardianship papers filed a child is an adult at 18 and can make their own decision where to live.

That said it would be better to try to work this out with counseling so your children to not become estranged (alienated) from their other father.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/16, 7:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York