Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Our company had an exclusive listing and signed contract to sell a house. The seller sold the property to another buyer while we were in contract. We would like to sue for our commission owed and other appropriate damages. Is this possible, and can we recover attorneys fees?

Asked on 1/13/17, 8:30 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

Assuming you are a licensed real estate broker in New York, generally speaking, you can recover a commission under the circumstances you described. The issue of attorney fees depends on the contract you have signed with the home owner.

Often times, just retaining an attorney and sending a stern demand letter convinces potential defendants to settle without having to go through litigation. Please contact me directly offline to further discuss this.

Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalists (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/17, 9:00 am

You may be able to recover premised on the terms of your contract. Recovery of attorneys' fees is a long shot but should be part of your narrative regardless.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/17, 10:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York