Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I won a default judgement in NYC small claims court with an arbitrator. The defendant did not show up to court because they claim they never received information as to where and when the hearing was. I figured the court serves the defendant with the proper paperwork for them with all the information regarding the case. Their lawyer typed up a nice pile of papers, with an "Order to show cause", asking the court to overturn the judgement. The only thing I understand here is that there is a date posted on the letter for another court date that I need to show up. Do I need to prepare or file any paperwork, or do I just show up on the day of the hearing and present my case to the judge all over again? I am very confused about this matter. Some advice from a legal expert will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Asked on 10/10/16, 1:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You must appear. The court will decide if his argument is valid (reasonable excuse).If so, It should then set a new trial date.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/16, 1:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York