Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

I was assigned a public defender for a probation violation case. My public defender had worked out a deal with my previous probation officer. My probation officer has been changed seven times total and my new probation officer is morning to send me to prison. Now that the circumstances have changed I would like to hire my own private attorney. Can I do that?

Asked on 5/22/18, 7:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

It would be cheaper to a) not get into trouble in the first place and b) if you do, comply with the terms of your probation - but sure, if you want to hire your own attorney, just discharge your public defender and hire a new attorney. However, here's the thing, the new PO would normally be bound by the agreement with the old PO and your public defender which means you are likely facing getting violated not because of a change in PO but because you are not doing what you are suppose to be doing. If that is the case and if you aren't going to do what is required of you, you'd be better off to save your money and just do your time.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/18, 7:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina