Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I am legally married but have been separated for about 5 years now. Is it legal to enter into a cohabitation agreement, civil union, or domestic partnership with my new significant other?

Asked on 9/27/21, 1:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

No. Not unless you have a properly drafted and executed Separation Agreement that addresses that issue. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a DA willing to prosecute you for it. So while technically illegal, odds are you could do it without ever getting into any legal trouble. Of course, if you have been separated for 5 years why don't you just get divorced? As long as you have a good address for your spouse and they are at least somewhat cooperative with you and willing to sign for Service of Process by certified mail, a total flat rate fee of $395 will cover everything needed. It often works out to be close to or even less than you can do it yourself.

The easiest way to get started is to fill out the Divorce Interview Form on our site

We will e-mail you a simple 3 page Divorce Complaint for you to review, sign in front of a notary and return to us by mail. At that point, your involvement would be done and we would handle the rest. The process takes 45 to 60 days or sooner to complete. There is no obligation to fill out the form and receive your paperwork to review - if you decide to hire us to handle your divorce the total is $395 which covers everything needed for a standard uncontested divorce. No court appearance or office visit necessary - you can do most everything from home. Yes, it is that easy!

If you have any questions, just call us at (910) 333-9679 or e-mail us at [email protected] - we are happy to help you.

See our short video for more information on how our divorce service works [click of or copy and paste the following link into your browser].

Read more
Answered on 9/27/21, 5:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina