Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I live in NC. I am separated from my husband permanently with the intention of filing for divorce after the year of separation. I am signing a lease to live with a roommate-- my best friend, a therapist, no criminal record, business owner. Is there any way my ex-husband can hold living with a roommate against me, legally? There is nothing in our separation agreement about it.

Asked on 8/18/22, 6:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

You mention a lot about the roommate except the most important part - whether the roommate is male. Also, if you separation agreement is silent on the issue of you associating with other people, then it is an incredibly poorly drafted agreement. That said, unless he can prove adultery there isn't really much to worry about. Even if he can prove adultery, while it is still a crime in NC you'd be hard pressed to find any DA willing to prosecute it these days and in the civil arena, unless the roommate knowing broke up a happy marriage, there isn't much you husband can do from that aspect either. When the time comes for the divorce, if you and your husband are somewhat cooperative with each other and expect the divorce to be uncontested,, it can be done fairly quickly and affordably without either of you having to go to court for a total flat rate fee of $395. Please feel free to visit our website at to see if our legal services are a good fit for you. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/22, 7:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina