Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

My boyfriend has recently walked out on our son and I and he has been abusive in the past. I have a written statement against him already and I was wondering how long you can wait until you press charges. The last time he physically harmed me was June 27 and it actually ended up resulting in a car accident when I was following him and he brake checked me and he lied to the sheriff about it being the result of a domestic I'm just wondering if I would have a strong enough case to press charges. Also, our two year old son has witnessed and has been involved and I do have pictures of one time he left finger prints on my arm from holding on so tight.

Asked on 7/15/10, 7:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nancy Fioritto Patete Nancy Fioritto Patete, Esq.

When these incidents of domestic violence occur, are you able to call the police so that at least a report can be filed? If you have never done this, I suggest you go to your local police station and write up the incidents that have happened. The next time something like this occurs, call them. A take photographs of any harm done. Hopefully, this sort of thing won't happen again to you and your child. In the meantime, contact a women's shelter for support, not necessarily to stay there, but for advice and assistance.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/10, 6:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio