Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

A woman was injured while performing (not for pay) in our church during a non-church function where use of the facility was free. She is requesting payment of medical bills not covered by her insurance. If we submit this claim to our insurance company and it is paid out, might this constitute an admission of wrong doing on our part (which we dispute) and, if so, how do we protect ourselves from a future law suit?

Asked on 8/22/09, 8:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Dan Guinn Guinn Law Firm, LLC

You would want her to sign a paper that says she does not hold you liable for any injury that she suffered and that she will not pursue a lawsuit.

However, I would fight this and would not give the woman any money. You would definitely want an attorney for this and I would be happy to represent you in this.

Feel free to contact me, free of charge, at or at 330-447-7634. I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a great day.

Dan Guinn

Read more
Answered on 8/23/09, 8:11 pm
Melissa Lipchak Melissa R. Lipchak, Attorney at Law

You could contact your insurance company and let the insurance company handle the claim. There may be medical payments coverage on the policy of insurance which pays for medical expenses for injuries received on the property regardless of fault. Sometimes, that is all that people are seeking--to be compensated for their out-of-pocket expenses. However, do not give her anything outside of the context of the insurance policy. There are a number of legal issues surrounding the incident. These can not be addressed because there is further information required to make a legal analysis. Please contact your insurance company or an attorney to help you with this situation.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/09, 12:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio