Legal Question in Family Law in Puerto Rico

Child Support - Emancipation?

I have a 16 years old daughter that live in Puerto Rico that I'm paying child support for. I don't have much contact with her since I move to a diffrent country. Anyway, I found out she's pregnant and looks like she will have the baby. Do I still need to pay child support for her after the baby is born? I was wondering is this is a form of emancipation. Thanks

Asked on 2/16/09, 8:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Child Support - Emancipation?

Not if she has not married. Although there is a strong argument against increasing your child support because of the pregnancy, and it may abate after she turns 18.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/09, 8:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Puerto Rico