Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Rhode Island

I am an engineer for hire. My business is a sole-propertorship. I recently had a project that paid me an hourly rate. The project lasted about 5 months long. I was paid for the 1st three months of work. I have not received payment for the remaining two months and I fear that the client that I worked for (because of his own financial difficulties) will not pay. His business is an Inc. and the business and the work were done out of my own state (RI). The other state is Mass. I am owed about $2500 in back wages. I do have an email from him indicating that he does know that he owes me money, but the email does not indicate a specific dollar amount. There were no timeclocks. He did however keep some written records as to my hours. His prior payments were accurate to my own timesheet records. I have subsequently asked for payment via email (my usual form of communications with him) but have received no response for the past several weeks. What alternatives do I have? Small claims court? Do I have winnable case?

Asked on 10/13/10, 10:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul Lancia Attorney Paul Lancia

Small claims court.

Present your case as you did here, use any evidence you have to substantialte that you did the work and billed for it.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/11, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Rhode Island