Legal Question in Family Law in Tennessee

my son and his girlfriend just had a baby 6 months ago they had legal papers drew up saying they had joint coustody they are suppose to be notarized and filed through the court my son is the father on the birth certificate and he also had a legal paternity test done will this legally give him rights as the father

Asked on 6/24/18, 7:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lauren Castles Castles Family Law

To secure his legal rights as not only the biological, but also the legal, father of the child, your son needs to make sure a petition is filed with the appropriate juvenile court. He should obtain an order establishing paternity as well as having a judge sign off on any agreed upon parenting plan. If the parenting plan has not been approved and entered by a court, it is not enforceable, even if notarized. Have your son contact an attorney to schedule a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/18, 7:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Tennessee