Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Geographical Restrictions

I need to know what ''Geographical Restrictions'' mean. Does it mean I am bound to the area I live in now until my child is 18? And if I get a job that transfers me to another state or remarry and my husbands job transfers him out of state, can my soon to be ex legally make me stay here, or can I legally move?

Asked on 4/05/02, 6:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Pfister, Jr. Pfister & Associates

Re: Geographical Restrictions

If a geographical restriction is placed, then the children must live in that area until a court modifies the restriction. You can live anywhere you like but you may not be able to take the children with you.

Once a restriction is in place, there are a number of reasons why a court may later lift it. You addressed in your question two of the most common reasons, namely you are transfered or your new spouse is transfered. These cases are litigated all the time, especially given the mobile society we now live in.

You should make sure that you have an attorney represent you during your divorce proceeding to try and address and maybe avoid future problems such as this.

Read more
Answered on 4/07/02, 1:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas