Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My grandson is 24 years old and has a child that is 3 years old. The mother and my grandson are no longer together, however, he still received weekend visits every other weekend and they shared the holidays. Just two days ago the mother talked my grandson into signing sole custody over to her by telling him that he would no longer have to pay child support and everything else would stay the same. I feel that he was tricked into signing those papers that he now regrets completely. She has a new boyfriend and is moving with his son from Texas to Michigan. My grandson will never get to see his son. He is devastated. She did not tell him that part of the deal. The judge has signed the papers. Is there anything that he can do to stop this? Also, it is my first grandchild and I am just shattered to my soul. Can he fight this? Respectfully.

Asked on 10/22/18, 2:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bob Leonard Bob Leonard Law Group, PLLC

Your son needs to IMMEDIATELY contact a family law attoney Dependíng on all the facts, the attorney may file a motion for new trial. Based on what you have said, there is a decent chance that it will be granted. The longer he waits, the worse his chances are. After 30 days, it’s too late.

Bob Leonard

Board Certified in Family Law

101 Summit Avenue, Suite 300

Fort Worth, Texas 76102


Read more
Answered on 10/22/18, 4:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas