Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Motions to dismiss

I need to file a motion to dismiss the following... child support, restraining order, protective order, and divorce. i cannot afford an attorney to do so. I need to know how to do it on my own. Thank you.

Asked on 4/05/02, 7:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Motions to dismiss

I have several ideas:

1. Call the State Bar of Texas for free legal services in your area for indigents or people on limited income. These are ususually based on the county you live in.

2. Call your local Legal Bar Association for referrals to fee-reduced attorneys or free legal services in your area.

3. Check with a local law school and see if they do a legal clinic for law students.

4. Go to any local bookstore and see there are any books for Texas divorces. Please be advised that many of these books are inaccurate if they are more than a couple of years old. The Texas Legislature meets every 2 years and changes laws.

Don't waste your money on a book written 3 or more years ago.

DO NOT waste your money on the forms at office supply stores -- if you read the fine print it says "no local forms included" -- you need the local forms.

5. Go to the county court and see if the clerk for the court (or the district clerk) can refer you to any free or discounted legal services available in your area.

5. Go to your local law library and read the books they have on Texas divorces.

6. You can check out websites such as this one and review their legal forms & also look for free legal services available in your area.

7. I would strong advise you to find an attorney that will accept payments. If you need child support and a restraining order (or a protective order) you will probably need someone knowledgeable to help you -- these are not simple things for a person to accomplish on their own.

If you live in the Houston area, I offer a sliding fee based on your household income. I also accept weekly payments. My office phone is 713-847-6000. Be sure to let me know that you found me on

Best of luck!

Read more
Answered on 4/07/02, 8:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas