Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

I'm a contractor in the state of Virginia, I've been having issues getting money from the contractor that I was sub-ed from. They owe me close to $3,500 of retainer, now they are not picking up their calls anymore.They told me to wait for 90 days(in was in the my contract) now, it has been over 210 days, still no money. I've spoke to a few other contractors worked for them in the past, seems like no one is getting paid for their retainer. What should I do? Can I just take them to court? With this market, time is getting rough, not sure if I will even have enough money to cover my legal fees; let alone challenge a multi-million dollar corporation.

Asked on 12/02/09, 12:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You could sue this defaulting contractor in your local small claims court for up to $5K for your unpaid fees without an attorney. (Attorneys are not permitted to represent clients in Virginia's small claims courts.)

Read more
Answered on 12/07/09, 8:52 am
Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

See above answer.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/09, 9:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia