Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

My wife and I are US citizens. Her parents have 10 year tourist visa, and they are currently here in the US to help out with the baby for the next 6 months. We really need help with the baby so my wife is thinking of sponsoring for her parents and File for them I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status and process everything while they are still here in the US. We know that I'll be much easier if we process her parents' paperworks when they are overseas, but due to our baby situation, we don't want them to go back. Will our plan work, especially with the tight immigration policy Trump put in place. Please help!

Asked on 5/16/17, 11:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Medina Law Office of Charles Medina

It might be faster and easier to petition her parents while they are in the US. We suggest you to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss the options.

You may visit our website at for our featured cases that cover the most complicated areas of immigration law. Our telephone number is 714-786-6835 and email is [email protected] Thank you.

The above reply is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/17, 11:10 am
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

It actually will NOT be faster or easier to petition her parents through Consular Processing. For an easier & more expedient way to immigrate, your wife can petition her parents now & they may be able to file for adjustment of status (depending on if they are admissible & meet other requirements under the law). For more information, please see:

Read more
Answered on 5/17/17, 2:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia