Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Washington

My father passed away in 2011, and it is now 2016 and his probate is still not closed. Can someone explain to me why this is happening? My older brother is the Executor of my father's estate. I am 1 of 4 of the beneficiaries. My self along with my siblings all agreed to split our distributions 25% to make it fair for all. I've been asking every year for status and my older brother just keeps blowing me off. The Executor and the youngest sibling decided to form my father's estate as an LLC, and has since open 6 business. I no longer talk to them and had a falling out because of events that took place. I just want my 25% and be done, is there anything I can do considering I live in a different state? Thank you.

Asked on 8/05/16, 7:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Cruikshank Cruikshank Law Office-Since 1975

There normally is plenty that you can do to resolve the issues that you describe, but the question is: Is this a normal situation in all regards?

Lawyers can't give trustworthy advice about a legal situation without knowing all of the important acts.

Development of the facts almost always requires a face to face discussion between lawyer and client and examination of all of the evidence (documents, etc.)

You need to gather up your evidence and contact an experienced lawyer for an appointment.

There is no safe shortcut to getting a good legal opinion and then deciding what you want to do to make it right.

Let me know if I can help/

Read more
Answered on 8/06/16, 1:38 pm
Alexandra Filutowski The Filutowski Law Firm, PLLC

Hi, to clarify: your father passed in WA? Your zip code indicates CA, so I presume that is where you are currently located?

You have options. I would need to learn more about the specific timing of events and if any documents or agreements were drafted and signed by you and others. Keep in the statute of limitations in WA: 3 years for a tort claim, 3 years for breach of an oral agreement and 6 years for breach of a written contract.

If you would like an initial consultation, feel free to contact my firm.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/16, 1:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Washington