Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

I live in Wisconsin and have been divorced for three years. My ex wife has a new boyfriend that has been very negative toward our five children. He has put them down, threatened them, made very inappropriate comments, and said negative things about me to them. Our divorce decree states that the children are to finish school in the district they are in and my ex and her boyfriend want to move. I am saying no because I want them close by so if they need me I can be close. ( full disclosure, when I heard of all the negative things this guy has said and done I was not very kind in my words about him). Now my ex and her boyfriend are threatening to take me to court to change the placement order from 50/50 to full placement for her and they are basing it on the fact that I don't like him and I am being negative and it hurts the kids. I have no criminal record, no drug use, and no alcohol abuse and my current wife is loved and respected by kids. (The boyfriend has a domestic abuse charge on his record). My question is do I have to worry about lose 50/50 placement? Or are they over-reachin?

Asked on 7/09/17, 3:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

In general, disputes between parents and significant others do not by themselves lead to a change in placement. At times, the situation can become so bad that the parents are unable to communicate. Sometimes, the significant other behaves badly toward the children, Neither situation is a positive for the children, obviously. If you are to have a hearing, you must be prepared to make your concerns known to the judge and guardian ad litem (children's lawyer). Therefore, I suggest that you contact an experienced child custody lawyer to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/17, 7:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin