Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

My son turned 18 in may 2011, and child support ended. His father told him he is 18 and now on his own. When filling out college and fasca paperwork, we verbally agreed I would claim our son to ge the best finacial aid possible for our son. Now that it is taxes time he is not agreeing and I have already filled my taxes and fasca. What are my rights?

Asked on 3/06/11, 9:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dawn Marie Mondus Law Office of Dawn Marie Mondus

It depends on what the Divorce Decree stated about claiming the exemptions. It also depends on which parent the child resides with primarily. If your son lives with you primarily, you had the right to claim the child as long as the decree doesn't say anything contrary

Read more
Answered on 3/25/11, 1:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin