India  |  Civil Rights Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/12/13, 5:39 am

according to the provisions of CPC, sec 16, its provided that the suit would be tried where the property is situated or where the defendant resides or conducts a business. there is no provision stating about the plaintiff. please throw some light as to under what circumstances the suit can be tried where the plaintiff resides or conducts a business.


1 Answer

Answered on: 6/12/13, 6:00 am by Fca Prashant Chavan


Dear Madam,

19. Suits for compensation for wrongs to person or movables.

Where a suit is for compensation for wrong done to the person or to movable property, if the wrong was done within the local limits of the jurisdiction of one Court and the defendant resides, or carries on business, or personally works for gain, within the local limits of the jurisdiction of another Court, the suit may be instituted at the option of the plaintiff in either of the said Courts.


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Expert Edge LLP "always A Step Ahead", Mumbai 52

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search