Alabama  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/05/08, 10:38 pm


I received a court appointed attorney in a 2001 misdemeanor case in which I took a plea. Aferwards, I learned that I must repay this attorney's fees and have been paying ever since. I have now become disabled and received SSD. I live on a fixed income and paying is hard to do now. My question is : Can I go to jail if I am unable to pay this?

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/12/08, 10:35 am by Walter Blocker

Re: Criminal

you need to advise the court immediately of your changed circumstances. the court may be able to waive or reduce the payment of the fee. i am assuming that the repayment of the attorney fee is a payment to the state to repay the state for your appointed attorney and such payment was made a condition of your probation. your best move is to immediately advise the court, with proof, of your medical and financial condition and ask the court to help you by waiving or reducing the amount of fee to be repaid.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Walter l. Blocker, III P.C. 3500 Independence Drive Birmingham, AL 35209

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search