California  |  Civil Rights Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/06/13, 2:53 am

I have a joint account with my husband at the bank of america and my social security benefit come to our joint account.

However, my husband keeps our joint check book so I never can get my own social security benefit. He is at the assisted living in arleta but I still live in my house and I need money for my food.

How can I get my social security benefit?

and my social security benefit come to our

joint account with my

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/06/13, 9:08 am by Armen Tashjian

If it is a joint account then you should be able to take money out from it. Go to the bank, show your ID and account number and make a withdrawal.

If you want to have a full control over your own benefits, open a new account and ask the social security to send your money into your new account. Make sure it is not a joint account. That way you will have control of your own benefits. I also suggest if you are going to open a new account do it with a different bank.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian 6311 Wilshire Blvd., Second Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search