California  |  Civil Rights Law

I have a joint account with my husband at the bank of america and my social security benefit come to our joint account.

However, my husband keeps our joint check book so I never can get my own social security benefit. He is at the assisted living in arleta but I still live in my house and I need money for my food.

How can I get my social security benefit?

and my social security benefit come to our

joint account with my

Answered on: 6/06/13, 9:08 am by Armen Tashjian

If it is a joint account then you should be able to take money out from it. Go to the bank, show your ID and account number and make a withdrawal.

If you want to have a full control over your own benefits, open a new account and ask the social security to send your money into your new account. Make sure it is not a joint account. That way you will have control of your own benefits. I also suggest if you are going to open a new account do it with a different bank.

Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian 6311 Wilshire Blvd., Second Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048