Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My son is 17 he being accuse of shoting at a car the only person saying that is a lady an she said my son resembles the guy she saw! Ok there no car,no gun,nobody else saw or heard anything we been living here for 10 years no they trying to charge my son as an adult ! Please somebody knows what can I do besides getting a lawyer cuz I don't thiink is fair for an innocent person to pay for a crime that didn't happen an just cuz a lady saying he resembles the guy she saw

Asked on 8/12/13, 8:45 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I understand that it doesn't seem fair. But your son needs a lawyer, and he needs one right now. The victim's statements are evidence against him. It doesn't matter that you aren't persuaded by the evidence or that you think there should be more. The case is underway, and your son is going to be prosecuted. He needs counsel.

The court will appoint a lawyer for your son if you can't afford to hire one. Public defenders are generally quite good at their jobs, but they usually can't give each case as much time as it should get. So you may be able to get a better defense for your son by paying a private lawyer to represent him. (Note, though, that some private lawyers will be no better than the public defender. And some may be a lot worse.)

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 11:46 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Claiming 'innocence' is not an effective legal defense. YOU can't do anything except hire him an attorney and provide him moral support. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 5:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now