California  |  Criminal Law

If I go to a store with a friend and my friend shoplifts without my knowledge can I be held accountable for another's actions?

Answered on: 11/16/12, 2:33 pm by Robert Marshall

In order to convict you, the District Attorney would have to prove you knew your "friend" intended to steal something, and that you knew of the plan and somehow assisted him. Just being there when somebody else does something illegal isn't a crime.

However, that doesn't mean you couldn't be arrested, hauled off to jail, prosecuted, and even convicted if a jury believed you were involved with your so-called friend's theft.

Bottom line: choose your friends carefully, and stay away from idiots who would put you in this kind of position.

Law Office of Robert L, Marshall P.O. Box 7150 Chico, CA 95927-7150

Answered on: 11/16/12, 3:03 pm by Theresa Hofmeister

excellent advice ;) ... if you really did not know anything about it & were not involved before or after the event, you 'should' not be held accountable ...but it all comes down to what a Judge, jury or prosecutor believe is reasonable.

Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law 336 South Broadway Escondido, CA 92025-4207

Answered on: 11/17/12, 1:37 am by Zadik Shapiro

I agree with Mr. Marshall and Ms Hofmeister but you should know but many people in the position you describe are charged as co-conspirators on the basis that the police officer or the store clerk believes they are acting as a watch out for the person actually making the theft. Right now I am involved in a four defendant case where two of the defendants are not alleged to have taken anything.

Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro 15 Boardman Pl. San Francisco, CA 94103