Legal Question in Education Law in California

Hi, my teenage girl, who's 17, is refusing to go to school and she ran away from home. I know in CA you have to be 18 to be able to dropout. She said she wants to quit school move back to China (she's permanent resident at US). If so, does that mean she has to give up her permanent residency for US? Besides sending her back to China, what are my options if she insisted on quitting school?

Asked on 5/30/13, 8:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If she goes back to China, the USCIS will presume that she has abandoned her permanent residency. It can be difficult and lengthy to reacquire permanent residency, especially for someone from China and as someone ages out of a dependency status. How close is she to being eligible for citizenship? Possibly she can complete high school by correspondence.

Read more
Answered on 5/30/13, 10:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now