California  |  Education Law

Hi, my teenage girl, who's 17, is refusing to go to school and she ran away from home. I know in CA you have to be 18 to be able to dropout. She said she wants to quit school move back to China (she's permanent resident at US). If so, does that mean she has to give up her permanent residency for US? Besides sending her back to China, what are my options if she insisted on quitting school?

Answered on: 5/30/13, 10:40 am by Andrew Harrell

If she goes back to China, the USCIS will presume that she has abandoned her permanent residency. It can be difficult and lengthy to reacquire permanent residency, especially for someone from China and as someone ages out of a dependency status. How close is she to being eligible for citizenship? Possibly she can complete high school by correspondence.

W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law 250 Pacific Ave., Suite 407 Long Beach, CA 90802