California  |  Family Law

I'm a single mother in California and want to contest to a legal name change of a minor name change filed by the father. I'm also going through a custody case filed by the father. I feel my son is going through a lot emotionally and with a name change, it will only get worse for my son who is 8 years old, will be 9 in July. He also doesn't want to change his name. My question is, how to write a proper letter to the court contesting the legal name change of my minor child?

Answered on: 6/24/13, 12:36 pm by Anthony Roach

You don't write a letter to the court. Decent judges don't read ex parte letters because it violates the judicial canons of ethical behavior.

You have to prepare an actual written opposition, which you have served on the father, and filed with the court clerk. I suggest you speak to a family law facilitator at your courthouse.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311