Legal Question in Medical Leave in California

spousal support

divorced in california- no fault-in 1999. he was the petitioner- i want to know if i could go after his retirement, or after he dies go after his estate.

the petition reads this way regarding spousal support- the petitioner having not requested spousal support & the respondent having not requested spousal support the court terminates its juristiction to award spousal support to either party now or in the future, regardless of circumstances. To me, I consider this alimony- it says nothing about retirement earnings. We were married for 9 1/2 years, living together 2 1/2 before that. We are both Govt employees covered under the Civil Service Retirement System.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: spousal support

If you already did a property settlement as part of the divorce, and it sounds like you did, the answer is no, you've got all you're going to. If there has been no division of property, then maybe you have something to discuss with local divorce counsel.

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in California

Family Medical Leave Act Legal Forms