Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I recently was requested to take a 65% reduction in salary and informed my employer that I was not willing to accept. Upon pay day, I discovered that they had cut my salary with no documentation or information on what my new salary was. I called my manager, who is the CEO of the company and told him that I was able to accept the pay cut and would be resigning immediately.

Today I received my final paperwork with the info on the final paycheck and they had voided my accrued vacation/pto time from the final check.

I am in California, is this legal? Can I respond that I do not accept without the PTO/Vacation time included?


Asked on 7/15/13, 7:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

To lower your pay, your employer must give you advance notice. No, it is not lawful for a CA employer to cause an employee to forfeit/lose their earned and unused PTO or vacation time. Call an employment law attorney to discuss. You may be owed your earned vacation/PTO plus up 30 day's wages as penalties plus the law requires your former employer to pay your attorney's fees. Many employment law attorneys offer a free initial phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 8:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now