Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I attempted to make a purchase at Sports Chalet using a $100 bill. The bill was older and did not have the magnetic strip that newer bills have. The cashier believed the bill was fake and proceeded to call the police. Once the police arrived I was detained for a 2 hour period, until they determined the bill was in fact real. I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks, and this ordeal inflicted a large amount of emotional distress on me. Do I have a case for false imprisonment, infliction of emotional distress, or slander/libel?

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Rob Reed Law Office of Robert A. Reed

If you suffer medical bills as a result of this, you might... absent that, probably not, unfortunately. Sorry this happened to you... it would be worth your while, in the event that you do not have medical bills related to this incident to write to the corporate office, explaining what happened. They might do something nice for you and, most importantly, they might make an effort to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Good luck.

Steven Sweat Glotzer & Sweat, LLP

There is a defense to these claims called the "shopkeeper's privilege". This isn't absolute but, would make your claim difficult. In my opinion, it would not be economically feasible to bring a claim on this. Seek legal advice if you feel you would still like to pursue. You have two years from the date of the incident to file suit or you will lose any right to do so.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California