California  |  Personal Injury

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/24/13, 10:51 am

Hello, I am considering purchasing a "California Release of Accident Claims" form from and would like to know if this is the correct form for what I need.

Here is the situation: a worker on my job-site was injured during labor(broke his nose while framing an apartment unit). We have agreed that I will pay $5,000.00 of his medical expenses, and he will pay the remainder (and that after that we will be settled). I want to make sure that, after paying, I will not be held legally accountable for any further payment (I am concerned that after paying he may try to get more money from me, or sue me). Will this form prove our agreement and absolve me of further liability?

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

2 Answers

Answered on: 6/24/13, 10:57 am by Kristine Karila

If your employee was injured on the job and you did not have worker's compensation insurance, I strongly advise you to consult with an employment law attorney rather than buying a form. Your employee may be able to sue you for negligence and seek damages for ALL related medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering, etc. If your worker is agreeing to settle, make sure you have a contract that is not going to open any doors to a lawsuit later.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 6/24/13, 10:57 am by Rob Reed

Unfortunately, probably not in this case, unless the worker was an independent contractor.. and, even then, likely not. As this is a workers comp case and not a personal injury case, there is a whole set of other rules to comply with. A Workers Compensation Judge will have to review any settlement, and settlements under work comp do not use general releases like you are intending to purchase.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Robert A. Reed 15233 VENTURA BLVD, SUITE 1010 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search