Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

i live in los angeles, ca. I have lived with my parents in their house for 50 year. They have a will but not a living trust. The question has come up if they ever ended up in a nursing home or died, would the house go to probate or is the house mine.

Asked on 8/20/13, 9:28 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Reid Happe Reid, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are several issues you raise in this situation. First, in California, the home you are speaking about would probably pass through probate since your parents have a will. That being said, the property would pass to whomever they named as beneficiary in the Will.

With regard to incapacity and long term care, your parents may need advance healthcare directives and powers of attorney for these types of situations.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/13, 9:37 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Based on what you have stated, it would have to pass through probate. I do suggest you speak to a competent estate planning attorney as to what you need to protect them.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 6:52 am
William Christian Rodi Pollock
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Please have your parents see an effective estate planning attorney. They can take many steps now to assist in the case of their incapacity or death that will avoid great complexity and expense. The facts as youu describe them would require a probate

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now